My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Humanity

I refuse to give up my belief that people want to do the right thing; that at the heart of it they basically want to do and be the best that they can. I'm not naive enough to believe this is true of every single person, I know there are exceptions. But as a whole, I believe this to be true. I believe in humanity

I see examples of it every day. I see it in the scruffy man who paid the difference for the little girl who didn't have enough money. I see it in the cashier at the big box store who lifted the big turkey out of the elderly ladies cart to scan it and then put it back in for her and then called another employee to help her to her car. At a big box store that doesn't provide any help, at all, for anything. I see it when 3 cars stop for the stranded lady on the side of the road to see if they can help her. I see it in the gentleman who opened the door for me today. I see it in the smiles of the people I pass.

And I see it many times a day in Bambam's activities. I see it in Bambam's swim teacher who goes above and beyond to connect with him and keep him engaged. Who patiently replies "goodbye" 18 times as Bambam says this every 10 seconds as we are getting ready to leave. I see it in Bambam's teachers and classmates who are beyond accepting and caring. I see it at the pool where they do not make Bambam where the paper wrist band as it dives him nuts. I see it at the Fun House airport where they allow Bambam out on the tarmac to see the planes. I see it in his soccer coach, who with no real experience with autism made appropriate accommodations for him. Who was supportive and understanding and who celebrated his little victories as much as we did.

But even more importantly, I see it in strangers who we pass briefly. People who don't know him and don't really understand his quirks. Like the lady at the groccery store in front of us who asks if we want to go first so we don't have to wait so long. Or the pharmacy clerk who engages him in conversation and seems completely comfortable with the fact that he is stuck on the same thought. Or the man at the stables who graciously took us back to see the horses in the barns, even though the barns were closed.

Don't get me wrong. Not all of our outings are all roses and sunshine. One particular example comes to mind. Last year I took all three boys up to the ski lodge. The older boys were snowboarding and I thought Bambam would enjoy a day playing in the snow. He loves the snow. Boy was I wrong. It was a new place, his brothers went off on the mountain without him, it was noisy and chaotic in the lodge and Bambam was beside himself. By the time I got him into the bathroom to put his snow clothes on he was in full blown meltdown mode. He was screaming and flailing all about as I was trying to change him when the janitor approached us and said to him "You are really too old to be acting this way."

Being on my last nerve, I lost it. It is not my proudest moment. My response to her was "Even though he looks 8, he's only 5. And he's autistic. So, when you've raised a special needs child, then you can comment on how I'm raising mine." At which point I started crying right along with Bambam. It was a low point for me. We walked off around the corner to try and put his boots on.

But you know what? Before we got calmed down and both boots on, she came back. She gently placed her hand on my shoulder and said, "I'm so sorry. It was really none of my business and I shouldn't have said anything. Is there anything I can do to help?" And I started crying all over again.

In the midst of all the terrible news stories we've been hearing, I still refuse to give up my belief that people want to do the right thing; that at the heart of it they basically want to do and be the best that they can. I choose to believe in humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment