My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Just Ask

Mr. Fixit and I spent an hour last night looking for the TV remote. At about 6:30 tonight, Bambam asked if he could watch some of "my TV". That means either PBS or Disney channel. Since PBS was well past kids programming, Mr. Fixit put the Disney channel on and disappeared into the office. About 7:00, Bambam decided to go downstairs with "brother" and I couldn't find the remote.

I looked everywhere: in the basket where it belongs, on the side table, on the coffee tabel, on the counter in the kitchen, on the breakfast table, under the coffee table, on the couch, under the blanket and pillows, in the couch cushions. No luck. At which point I went into the office and very irritated asked Mr. Fixit where put the darn thing. His response, "I haven't been in the family room in an hour, I have no idea where it is." But you were the last one to use it I countered. So into the family room he follows me to join the search.

In the mean time, it's now 8:00 so I go get Bambam ready for bed. And I hear Mr. Fixit grumbling because he can't find the remote either. At one point he says rather sarcastically that maybe Bambam used it. On a whim I asked Bambam if he knows where the remote is. And he says, "Yesss, I put away." You put it away? Where? Unner da couch. And then he marches right over the the end of the couch, leans down, and pulls the remote out from under it. Well, huh.

Who would have thought to ask him? Seriously, its a crap shoot when you ask Bambam a question if you are actually going to get an answer that is even on topic. And as far as I know, this child has never really paid any attention to the remote. He doesn't play with it or attempt to change the chanels or anything. So I never really thought to ask him.

I can only imagine what was going on inside his little head as he watched us searching for the remote. That stinker knew where it was the whole time. All we had to do was just ask him.

Lesson learned: Never underestimate my autistic 7 year old, and he apparently has a wicked sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment