My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Monday, August 20, 2012

Scissors

I have a long failed history with scissors. When Miracle Boy started preschool at 2 and half (a topic for another post) he could do all the things the other kids did, except cut. His teacher asked me if I ever worked on cutting with him. My response was, "He's 2. No I don't let him play with scissors". My bad. He entered remedial cutting and was cutting like a pro 2 weeks later.

Flash forward 14 years and I now have a 6 year old autistic son who's fine motor skills are basically non-existent. He goes to Occupational Therapy once a week. They work on cutting every week (among many other things). And every week he struggles to cut on the lines. Miss Ashley, our very sweet OT, asks me how often we practice cutting at home. Ummmm, look down, shuffle feet. I'm not good with cutting. Sharp instruments in the hands of little people make me very nervous. Especially unpredictable little people who don't always follow directions or respond when you say STOP. I feel like I have failed my kids.

So imagine my surprise last night when I walk into the kitchen and find that Bambam really can use scissors. Granted, it was to cut a chunk of hair off his head. But I do not care that he now looks like a street urchin...my kid can cut! I call this success.

Despite our many failures as a parent, our kids not only survive, but thrive. God bless them.


No comments:

Post a Comment