My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Look

We were back at the fun house this past weekend. And it was First Friday. Which means that downtown is packed with a festive environment of sidewalk musicians, art, vendors, beer and wine tasting, and all the quaint stores are open late. It also means crowds and noise and chaos.

But, since Bambam has been doing so many great things lately, we thought we would try it. First up was pizza by the slice from the hole in the wall pizza joint that we like. Bambam loves their pizza and we usually get it when we go downtown. But its not usually this crowded. As soon as we entered, he stopped in his tracks and grew tense. He had told me right before entering that he needed to use the bathroom. So, even though he said immediately upon entering that he wanted to "go back outside" I made him go use the bathroom first. I barely had his shorts back up before he bolted out the bathroom door and made a beeline outside. No way was he staying or going back inside that crowded place.

On my way chasing him outside, I spotted a mom pushing a special stoller with a 7 or 8 year old girl in it. She caught my eye, she smiled at me as I chased Bambam out the door as he's yelling "go outside now, go outside NOW". And I knew, she knew. She was "our kind". With no words her look and smile encouraged me. She let me know that she understood, I was not alone. We were doing OK. A thousand words and thoughts were exchanged in that silence. And I smiled back hoping to convey to her what she had given me in that brief, silent exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment