My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Lets Say Yes

I recently read a blog post written by a mom of 2 typical kids. It was about her encounter with an autistic boy. And it was beautiful, she was beautiful. It was the kind of post that gives me hope in humanity, that our special kids will find and have a place in this world. But it also got me to thinking.

In the post she quoted the care taker who repeatedly told the boy "no". In an attempt to encourage more socially acceptable behaviors, she would tell him he couldn't do what he was doing. And the blogger (although not trying to contradict the caretaker) told him yes by her actions. Yes, he could interact with her how it was most comfortable for him. She would meet him in his space. 

And it made me think. I started wondering how often I tell Bambam "no". Do I tell him no just because what he's doing is not the norm? Just because it's not the socially acceptable behavior? Is my son growing up in a world of "no's"? That is not what I want. 

This is not an issue at home. Home is the safe place, where he can just be. But when we are out if public, do I try to control his behavior more than I should? Do I try to make him conform? Do I constantly tell him "no"? I don't really know the answer to this. But I'm going to pay close attention from now on. Bambam deserves to be told yes, that he is OK. Just as he is. Stimming and all. Perfect the way he was made.

No comments:

Post a Comment