My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer...Again

Summers are always hard with Bambam. Both Mr. Fixit and I work. Granted I only work part-time, but still need some sort of day care for about 25 hours a week. In the past we have muddled through with a hodge podge of grandparents, brother's help, and a very flexible work schedule for both myself and Mr. Fixit.

But this summer, that wasn't going to work. Both brothers got full time jobs. Yeah! But it cuts into our daycare availability. And my parents are getting older. My dad has Alzheimers and my mom really has her hands full caring for him. I can't really expect her to also take on a serverly autistic 7 year old for 25 hours a week. So I went looking.

Our City Parks and Rec answered the call admirable. I talked with the director who insisted they could accomodate all of Bambam's needs. So we met to hash out a plan. She agreed to all the adjustments I suggested to make Bambam's first day camp experience successful. We chose a camp that was less structured, lots of free play time. Set at a park, I would drop him off a little later and pick him up earlier in the afternoon so he wasn't there all day. He could bring his favorite comfort items from home. And at the very end she asks if it would be helpful for him to have his own aid. Seriously? Hell yes! The young man she was thinking of had past experience working with autistic children. She'd have him call me to talk about Bambam before camp started. I was amazed. Perhaps I'm naive, but I had no idea they would provide an aid for Bambam.

Sam did call me and we talked about Bambam. What works for him, what doesn't. What his favorite things are. How to calm him down if he gets upset. The best ways to encourage him to try something new. He asked great questions and was really interested in the answers. I have great hopes for Day Camp. I hope Bambam has as much fun as I remember having.

No comments:

Post a Comment