My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Lessons Learned at Orientation

Miracle Boy and I recently spent 3 days in at the University of Arizona for his Freshman Orientation. We had a great time. It's been years since we've spent a few days alone just the 2 of us. It was reminiscent of our trip to the coast when he was six. He is a great kid and very fun to spend time with. Correction, he is an adult. He's grown into an amazing young man right before my eyes.

He learned a lot of valuable information. He met his financial advisor, academic advisor, has his schedule set, met several other incoming freshman, found out about jobs, activities, fraternities, the list goes on and on.

I, however, learned different things on this trip. Here is a list of the top 10 things I learned:

1. The desert is beautiful
2. Dry heat or not, 108 is damn hot. I mean sweltering, melting, Hades hot.
3. Touring a college campus in said heat feels worse than running a half marathon.
4. You can never drink enough water in the desert.
5. Every building is kept at an arctic cold temperature. So, even in 108, you must carry a jacket with you to wear indoors. Why do they do this?
6. Dorm beds are not as bad as I remember; they are far, far worse.
7. The showers are worse than the beds.
8. When staying in a dorm room do not drink anything after 6:00 pm. The bathrooms are down the hall.
9. College kids are resilient, bright, eager, promising, full of life. Their energy is contagious.
10. Even with the contagious energy, I can no longer function on 3 hours of sleep. Those days are over.

No comments:

Post a Comment