My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Dentist, Round 2

After school started, it was finally my turn to go to the dentist. I haven't been in a "while". But with Bambam now in first grade, I'm hoping to have a little time to get some of these much neglected items done.

The first thing the dentist says (after no decay, yeah) is "I see you grind your teeth". I do not grind my teeth. He insists he sees wear patterns consistent with grinding. I insist I do not grind my teeth, never have. He is smiling and nodding his head. Its irritating. Then he asks if I have any extra stress in my life. At which point I laugh. Out loud. Almost hysterically. I think I scared him. He asks if I can reduce some of the stress. Am I seeing a therapist or my dentist? Not unless I get rid of the children or my parents. It is what it is and I deal the stress the best I can. And most days I think I'm doing a pretty good job of it.

He asks that I pay attention to what I'm doing when I feel the most stressed. I love my dentist, he's a great guy. But really, what I don't need is someone else telling me I'm too stressed, I need to slow down, take care of myself, blah, blah, blah. So I assure him I will, but I DO NOT GRIND MY TEETH. And off I run to pick up Bambam early for lunch so he can avoid the fire drill.

Skip to later that afternoon when Bambam is resisting getting changed and the whole house is smelling like poop. I'm trying to get him into the bathroom when I notice that (I'll be damned) I am CLENCHING MY TEETH! In my attempt to not yell, I've clamped my mouth shut. Hard. Huh. Stupid dentist. Now I have to tell him he was right, which he already knew.

How could I have not noticed this? Now I'm sure I've been doing it for several years.One more thing to stress about...

No comments:

Post a Comment