My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Saturday, May 30, 2015

English Language Learners

Where I work we have several employees for whom English is a second language. I don't interact with them directly very often, only about HR issues. But when I do, I'm always struck by how their use of English is so similar to The Boy's. Or maybe I should say The Boy's use of language is similar to theirs; almost as if English is a second language for him.

Last weekend The Boy was outside riding his bike. I'll say that again, he was riding his bike. Still so amazing to me. Anyway, I went outside to check on him and saw blood running down his leg. It looked like he had fallen off the bike and scraped up his leg. Without a word or any tears, typical. And worrisome, but that is a topic for another post.

When I asked him if he got hurt his reply was "Yes. My leg is not feel good." He didn't say my leg hurts, or my leg is bleeding, or even my leg doesn't feel good. He said "My leg is not feel good." Not exactly how any of us would say that. His point was clear enough, anyone would understand his message. It's just different, and a little awkward. And is usually one of the first signs to strangers that he is unique. Perhaps I should just tell them that he is an English Language Learner.

Now, if I could just figure out what his native tongue is...

Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment