My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Living in a Literal World

The Boy loves his pajamas. And I mean, he LOVES them. If we are at home, he has pajamas on. As soon as he gets home from school, he changes. He has a fond preference for the all cotton (no fire retardant), long sleeve, long pant, form fitting pajamas that look like long johns. I'm convinced this is because he likes the pressure it gives him all over his body. He craves deep pressure. But that really has nothing to do with this post.

Today when he was trying to change into his pajamas after school (which takes considerable effort on his part due to his motor planning skills) he was putting them on backwards. They were halfway up his legs with the tag in the front. I looked at what he was doing and casually said "the tag needs to go in back." 

I watched as he took them off, looked at me quizzically and then proceeded to put them behind his back. Then he looked at me quizzically again not knowing what to do next. I couldn't help it, I started laughing. 

"The tag needs to go in back". Such a simple statement I probably told my older boys a gazillion times to make sure they put their pants and shirts on the right direction. Most kids know exactly what you mean. Not The Boy. What he heard was "the tag needs to go on your back" and that was all. The implied "when they are on your body" just wasn't there for him. So he put the tag on his back and looked at me for what to do next. 

I probably shouldn't have laughed. But it was funny. Or heartbreaking. I prefer to go with funny. I'd rather laugh than cry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment