My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Gym, A Girl, & Inclusion

The Boy and I were walking through the health club yesterday. I was going to a class, he was going to the playroom. Ah, the playroom. Intended for the youngest of members, those under 8 years old. The Boy, now 9, still goes in the playroom. I don't dare leave him unsupervised, wreaking havoc all over the gym. And they graciously let him continue to come in and play. All of the gym employees know him, have for years. And they understand. It sometimes is a little awkward when I go to pick him up and the other moms are picking up kids who are literally half his size. Not kidding, he's a very tall 9 year old. Sometimes we get some weird looks from the other moms. But whatever, I no longer let these silly little things bother me. My boy loves the playroom and has fun. And the playroom supervisors enjoy having him. In fact, one has become our trusted kid sitter. (I believe in using sitters who know what they are signing up for and are familiar to The Boy)

Anyway, back to my story. As we were walking through the gym to the playroom, a girl who looked to be about his age said "hi (The Boys name)". He turned to her and said "hi (The Boy's name)" right back to her. His focus was getting to the play room where he could play with all the toys. I assumed he was just echoing her greeting without paying much attention. And he went right back to obsessing over the toys in the playroom, his interaction done.

So I struck up a conversation with her. I asked her how she knew The Boy. She goes to his school. I asked her if she was in his (GenEd) class. She said no, she was in second grade. (He's in third.) This puzzled me a little so I asked her how she new The Boy. With a big grin she replied "oh, I see him around school and sometimes we play together at recess." 

And I nearly stopped in my tracks.

Here is a kid who is not in his class, has no "formal" interaction with him, and yet she sometimes plays with him at recess. Presumably unprompted, on her own. I'll be honest here, my heart nearly exploded on the spot. I worry ALL THE TIME about how The Boy integrates into the general population at his school. Do they accept him? Does he socialize with them? Is he comfortable interacting with them? Are they comfortable interacting with him? Is he developing relationships? Does he have friends? And on and on.

I think about these things all the time. Because in the end, our goal for the The Boy is to live a full, productive adult life with a job and social life out in the community. What form this takes, well we don't know yet, but that is the general goal. And how can he reach that goal if we don't start now with interactions with his typical peers. Encouraging social interactions from both sides. Encouraging him to be part of the community now, his community at school as well as the community at large. Developing relationships. Encouraging inclusion, acceptance, understanding on all parts. And more importantly, everyone enjoying those interactions and relationships.

Exchanges like the one I had with that young lady truly encourage me. Seriously, my heart was singing. It was so full of peace and love and hope. I wanted to hug her, but didn't want to scare her. 

I know, I know, its a far cry from an elementary school to the adult community at large (or even the high school). I don't completely live in a Pollyanna world. I know that we have a very long road to travel. But its a start in the right direction. And I'll take my encouragement where ever I can find it.

Oh, and the girl's name? Turns out it is the same as The Boy's. He wasn't echoing, he was really saying hi to her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment