My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Seven!

My boy is turning 7. My sweet,cherubic, happy baby boy is now a big kid of 7. I'm not sure how this happened in the blink of an eye, but it did. You'd think I'd be used to it, he's not the first. But it still makes me pause.

First grade. He's in first grade now. Not quite at school all day (he comes home an hour early, that seems to be all his sensory system can take) but still much longer than kindergarten. And I'm so proud of him.

He still spends much of his day in the LRC with a one to one aid. But he is now ASKING to go to his class. He will sit with the other kids for 20 minutes as they read to him. He participates in art and is so proud of his masterpieces. He works with his teacher to check in all the kids and their homework in the morning. He knows and greets all his classmates by name. He goes to library with them and uses a quiet voice (wish I knew how they accomplished this, he still only uses very loud at home). He wants to be with them, interacting with them. And I'm so proud.

He is now eating lunch in the cafeteria with his class. And actually eating his lunch. Without an aid by his side. And going to recess with all the other kids. And not getting overwhelmed or melting down. He's playing with his peers. And I'm so proud.

He is taking swimming lessons. I sometimes wondered if he would take lessons of any kind. But now he's in swimming. And he loves it. He looks forward to seeing Teacher Brad. And Teacher Brad is awesome. Honestly, about 10 minutes is spent on actual swim lesson stuff. The other 20 are spent on more social interacting. But my kid is kicking, and using "big arms", and blowing bubbles, and going underwater. There is no actual swimming yet, but I know there will be in his own time. And I am so pround.

He has grown and gained skills in so many ways. I simply can't write about them all. My baby is now 7 and I couldn't be prouder of him. Happy birthday big boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment