My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Birthday Parties

Bambam was invited to a classmate's birthday party. This is HUGE. This is the first birthday party invitation he's received. Granted, the entire class was invited. But they included Bambam. I was both touched and intimidated at the same time.

I do not remember what a typical 7 year old birthday party is like. Bambam has never had a birthday party with his peers. His parties include our family plus both grandparents. And even that can sometimes overwhelm him. I can't imagine him at a party with 20+ kids.

On the plus side, the party was at the indoor bounce place. Bambam loves the bounce place. Imagine, a boy who's stim is to jump; the indoor bounce plance is like heaven to him. Jumping grounds him, calms him, helps him to block out overwhelming stimuli. He begs to go there ALL.THE.TIME. Plus, that probably means that there will not be organized activities, but rather free play time. This might just work.

The invitation asked for an RSVP. I would have called the parents anyway. In a situation like this, I want to make sure they know who Bambam is. That they understand his... uniqueness. So I called and clumsily ask the dad if he knew who Bambam was. And I will forever remember his response. "Of course I do. He's the cute little blond boy with the aide." And that just about made my heart melt. What a sweet way to identy my boy. Not "the special needs boy" which honestly doesn't offend me, he is a special needs child. I just really thought that he identified Bambam in a very sweet, respectful way. And I knew we had to attend the party. Especially after he went on to say that his son has specifically asked to invite Bambam.

So, Bambam and I went shopping to find a birthday present. I had asked the dad what his child liked so we were armed with good info. And, as luck would have it, this little boy loves sports. Just like Bambam, any sport with a ball is awesome. Bambam picked a football with the team logo from our local university. Then he helped me wrap it in a gift bag with tissue. It may not have been the prettiest present, but Bambam was so proud.

He was so excited the morning of the party. He almost drove us nuts. It was all he talked about. All morning long we heard "go to bounce house now?",  "go to party now?", "see my friends now?". Over and over until we finally left.

When we arrived it was a little chaotic and Bambam hung back for a little while. But with some promting, he greeted the boy with a "Happy Birthday" and gave him the gift. Then he ran off to go bouncing. Throughout the 2 hour party, the other kids would invite Bambam to join in what ever game they were playing, and sometimes he did. But when the noise and chaos got to be too much, he would go find a quieter corner to bounce by himself. I was so proud of him that he knew what he needed and was able to get it without a single melt down. This is true progress. He even invited another little boy from his class (who is shy and reserved) to come play with him in the quieter corner. 

When it was time for cake and presents, we were all ushered into a room that was already set up. I knew this would be the hardest part for Bambam. The room was a little hollow and echoed. With 22 ampted up kids and half a dozen parents, it was loud and chaotic. A recipe for sensory overload. Bambam took a seat next to the shy little boy he had previously asked to play. He ate about half his cake before he turned to me and said "I need to go home now." Not wanting him to go home yet, I suggested he go find a quiet corner and jump for a while. He ran off with a smile. 

When it was time to open presents, I called him back to the room and he watched from the doorway as the birthday boy opened all his presents. After which, all the kids ran out of the room to go bounce and play. And you know what? That football, the one Bambam had brought for the birthday boy, it was the favorite present. The birthday boy carried it all around the bounce place. And all the other kids wanted to play with it. And Bambam was grinning from ear to ear as he ran after them.

That was about the best birthday party ever.

I will forever be greatfull to the amazing kids in Bambam's class. They are caring, understanding, tolerant, accepting, etc. The list goes on and on. They amaze me on a daily basis. They are being lead and taught by wonderful adults. The parents of the birthday boy were so gracious. They both went out of their way to make sure he was included, comfortable, and having fun. The mom even gave Bambam the balloons at the end of the party. This was a success on all levels. 




No comments:

Post a Comment