My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Monday, October 7, 2013

Pickles, Pears, and Pretzels

Bambam struggles with language. For him it is not intuitive, it simply does not come naturally. He had no real words until age 3, sentences until age 5. He works so hard for the words and conversation he does have, but sometimes it just doesn't come out quite right. The other day I bought pretzel snacks in the shapes of the Disney "Planes" characters. Major score as airplanes are one of Bambam's obsessions. On the drive home from the fun house yesterday, this conversation took place:

Bambam: I want pickles.
Me: Pickels? I don't have pickles.
Bambam: I want pears.
Me: OK, here are your pears.
Bambam: I don't want pears.
Me: OK.
Bambam: I want pickles.
Me: I don't have pickles, I have pears.
Bambam: I DON'T WANT PEARS! (pause) I want...I want the "Dusty" snacks.
(Dusty is the lead character in the Disney "Planes" movie)
Me: Great job finding a way to tell me what you want! Do you remember what they are called? They are not pickles, they are ...
Bambam: (long pause) Pretzels!

Its a very fine line between helping him slow down and find the right word and watching him become a frustrated puddle of little boy. Sometimes we fall on the good side of that line. Yesterday was a good day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment