My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Runners

I am a runner. I am not fast. I struggle with distances. But still, I lace up my shoes and I go out and pound the pavement. That makes me a runner. Anyone who goes out there and puts one foot in front of the other is a runner. As the saying goes "I've never seen a fake runner."

I started running in college. I ran because my roommate did and she invited me along. So, I ran for "girl time". I ran to help alleviate stress. I ran to help clear my head. I ran to make studying easier. I ran to stay in shape as I was no longer involved with competitive sports. I ran so I could eat the pizza (and drink the beer) and still fit in my clothes. And I fell in love with running.

I've been running now for over 25 years. (Holy cow, that is hard to write) I've run numerous 5ks, and 10ks, and my share of half marathons. And I still love it. I love running by other runners and getting the wave, or the smile, or the nod. Runners know what I'm talking about. The running community is like no other. It is full of encouragement and compassion and understanding. I will never forget the time I was running in a very big relay race and a runner from one of the elite teams passed me. As he passed by he said "You're doing great. Keep it up." A guy  who could run circles around me took the time to encourage me. It was awesome.

I find encouragement in the elite runners, like most people do. There ability to float across the landscape almost effortlessly with their zero percent body fat machines is awe inspiring. I watch the Ironman every year on TV and then I go pound the pavement that much harder. I realize I will never be them, but I sure like trying.

I am also inspired by the beginner runners. The ones who are not in shape, who don't have zero percent body fat, the ones who don't look like runners. And I want to encourage them. When I'm driving Bambam around and I see an overweight person struggling to run down the street, I want to roll down the window and yell encouragement to them, "You're doing great. Keep it up." But in all honesty, I hesitate. I hesitate because I am afraid they won't think I'm sincere. That maybe I'm teasing them. And that is the last thing I ever want. Its hard to get off that couch and take the first step. But they've done it. And I find that inspirational, just like the elite runners. For different reasons, but inspirational just the same. Everyone who goes out there and puts one foot in front of the other, over and over again, is a runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment