My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Monday, May 20, 2013

Living in Fear

The story of Mikaela Lynch grips my heart. It squeezes it until I feel like I can't breath. This is the story of my nightmares. Like so many parents of children with autism, I fear not being able to protect my child at all times.

Although Bambam is verbal, can tell you his name, Mr. Fixit's name, my name, the street he lives on (although not the house number for fear he'll share it with every stranger he meets), he still has no clear recognition of danger. He does not understand natural consequences. He is impulsive, bolts sometimes for no apparent reason. And like many, many autistic kids, he loves water. The combination of these things gives me nightmares. Literally. Many nights I've woken up in a cold sweat, and I tip toe into Bambam's room to touch his sweet face to reassure myself that he is fine. I stand there and listen to his even breathing.

It is an almost oppressive responsibility to keep someone safe that doesn't understand cause and effect, that is extremely impulsive. Who will bolt across a parking lot without looking. Who will jump into a pool without knowing how deep it is (and he can't yet swim, after 2 years of swimming lessons). Who will talk to any stranger in the store. When he looks over the railing of a bridge or a deck, someone always holds the back of him. He leans so far over... I cannot even finish the sentence.

It is frightening. It is overwhelming. I try not to think about it. And then I read a story like Mikaela's. And my heart breaks for her family. And I pray for their strength and peace. I pray that others will offer them support and understanding. I pray for all the other parents of autistic kids who's nightmares have been rekindled just like mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment