My Side of Typical

My Side of Typical

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Onslaught of Mail

The mail at our house has gotten a bit ridiculous. Now, instead of asking if anyone has gotten the mail today we ask if anyone has gotten Miracle Boy's mail. Miracle Boy is a fairly good student and did reasonable on the SAT. Apparently that means every school in the country has to send him mail. And I'm not kidding. He gets at least 8 pieces of mail a day.  Every.Single.Day. Our mail box is littered with postcards, letters, DVDs, and 8 x 10 full color, glossy, multi-page catalogs. I cannot imagine the expense that goes into producing these. Perhaps tuition wouldn't be so high if they weren't sending out these catalogs.

I do not remember this from 30 years ago when I was a Senior in high school. And I wasn't a slouch. I was in a comparable position to Miracle Boy. Yet I do no remember getting an onslaught of advertising from every college or university in the country. I find it irritating. And may possibly wallpaper the playroom in college advertising. It is bright and colorful and full of promising looking young people. Perhaps it will inspire the other 2 kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment